The Gong Soap
This evening, I digitized the next three episodes of the Tape and Record Show Enterprises series "TRS Presents: Soap" and another "special" episode of "TRS Presents", from the original "broadcast" audio cassettes...
"TRS Presents: Soap, Episode 6: Broadcast Tuesday, January 25, 1983 at 9:00pm central. Theme Music: Theme Music: Swing Swing Swing(John Williams). Corrine moves in with Peter, Billy's girlfriend walks out on him, Burt announces that his son Chuck is coming in from Hawaii, and Danny pays another visit to the "Godfather" to try to talk him out of the idea of having to kill Burt.
TRS Presents: Soap, Episode 7: Broadcast Tuesday, February 1, 1983 at 9:00pm central. Theme Music: Theme Music: Swing Swing Swing(John Williams). The Major captures the Tate's neighbor, Danny talks Burt into going "fishing" in the Pocono's, Claire tells Jessica that Chester has been cheating on her, and Chuck and Bob arrive from Hawaii.
TRS Presents: Soap, Episode 8: Broadcast Tuesday, February 8, 1983 at 9:00pm central. Theme Music: Theme Music: Swing Swing Swing(John Williams). Danny attempts to kill Burt, Jodie finally convinces Danny he is a homosexual, Danny announces he is going to become a spy to hide from mobsters, and Jessica throws a welcome home party for Chuck and Bob.
TRS Presents: Special Episode: Broadcast Saturday, January 1, 1983 at 3:58am central, as part of the annual TRSE New Years Celebration. Theme Music: Theme Music: Swing Swing Swing(John Williams). "The Gong Show: The Last Episode" - The final NBC daytime episode of the talent show, hosted by Chuck Barris, originally aired July 21, 1978. Judges were Jamie Farr, Carl Ballantine, and Patty Andrews."
Even though nearly all the recordings in the Tape and Record Show Enterprises archives from the early 1980's were recorded on cheap audio cassettes, the "Gong Show" episode is worse in sound than the "Soap" episodes. By the time I was recording the "Soap" reruns, I had a small television with a headphone jack, which I used a cable to run directly from the TV to a cassette deck. The final "Gong Show" episode was originally recorded pre-TRSE in 1978 using a microphone held up to a TV speaker, onto a REALLY cheap cassette, so the quality "suffers". I started feeling REALLY old while digitizing that "TRS Presents" episode, since the recording used for content of that episode was originally made a month prior to my 13th birthday. As with other recordings I've digitized from that era, I managed to clean up the audio somewhat, but it'll never be "perfect". At least, as appropriate for a final show, even though poor sound quality, you get to hear Chuck Barris sing "Take This Job and Shove It".
"TRS Presents: Soap, Episode 6: Broadcast Tuesday, January 25, 1983 at 9:00pm central. Theme Music: Theme Music: Swing Swing Swing(John Williams). Corrine moves in with Peter, Billy's girlfriend walks out on him, Burt announces that his son Chuck is coming in from Hawaii, and Danny pays another visit to the "Godfather" to try to talk him out of the idea of having to kill Burt.
TRS Presents: Soap, Episode 7: Broadcast Tuesday, February 1, 1983 at 9:00pm central. Theme Music: Theme Music: Swing Swing Swing(John Williams). The Major captures the Tate's neighbor, Danny talks Burt into going "fishing" in the Pocono's, Claire tells Jessica that Chester has been cheating on her, and Chuck and Bob arrive from Hawaii.
TRS Presents: Soap, Episode 8: Broadcast Tuesday, February 8, 1983 at 9:00pm central. Theme Music: Theme Music: Swing Swing Swing(John Williams). Danny attempts to kill Burt, Jodie finally convinces Danny he is a homosexual, Danny announces he is going to become a spy to hide from mobsters, and Jessica throws a welcome home party for Chuck and Bob.
TRS Presents: Special Episode: Broadcast Saturday, January 1, 1983 at 3:58am central, as part of the annual TRSE New Years Celebration. Theme Music: Theme Music: Swing Swing Swing(John Williams). "The Gong Show: The Last Episode" - The final NBC daytime episode of the talent show, hosted by Chuck Barris, originally aired July 21, 1978. Judges were Jamie Farr, Carl Ballantine, and Patty Andrews."
Even though nearly all the recordings in the Tape and Record Show Enterprises archives from the early 1980's were recorded on cheap audio cassettes, the "Gong Show" episode is worse in sound than the "Soap" episodes. By the time I was recording the "Soap" reruns, I had a small television with a headphone jack, which I used a cable to run directly from the TV to a cassette deck. The final "Gong Show" episode was originally recorded pre-TRSE in 1978 using a microphone held up to a TV speaker, onto a REALLY cheap cassette, so the quality "suffers". I started feeling REALLY old while digitizing that "TRS Presents" episode, since the recording used for content of that episode was originally made a month prior to my 13th birthday. As with other recordings I've digitized from that era, I managed to clean up the audio somewhat, but it'll never be "perfect". At least, as appropriate for a final show, even though poor sound quality, you get to hear Chuck Barris sing "Take This Job and Shove It".