albert71292 😡aggravated

Tape Transfers and Criticisms

From deep in the Tape and Record Show Enterprises archives and off the wall, I digitized three more hours of the old fake "radio broadcasts" my friends and I used to produce back in the day...

"James Stricklin Musical Muse Countdown: Episode 3, Broadcast Monday, March 4, 1985 at 9:00pm central. Theme Music: Careless Whisper(Wham!). Hosts: James Stricklin and "Calvert Mimms"(Albert Sims), and a special appearance by Jerry Sanders. Songs: Sugar Walls(Sheena Easton), Easy Lover(Philip Bailey, with Phil Collins), I Want To Know What Love Is(Foreigner), Neutron Dance(The Pointer Sisters), Loverboy(Billy Ocean), The Heat Is On(Glenn Frey), California Girls(David Lee Roth), Can't Fight This Feeling(REO Speedwagon), Careless Whisper(Wham!).

The Tape & Record Show: Episode 432, Broadcast Friday, November 23, 1984 at 10:00pm central. Theme Music: One Thing Leads To Another(The Fixx). I Don't Want To Know(Fleetwood Mac) / "Fawlty Towers: Mrs. Richards" - A stubborn, slightly deaf woman checks into the hotel and causes trouble when she discovers her money is missing. Stars John Cleese, Connie Booth, Prunella Scales, Andrew Sachs, Joan Sanderson. / Guitar Man(Jerry Reed) / Steve Martin: The comedian talks about American tourists, the fart zone, "What I Believe", The Real Me, Love, God, and the Preacher / Nubian Nut(George Clinton).

The Tape & Record Show: Episode 433, Broadcast Friday, November 30, 1984 at 10:00pm central. Theme Music: One Thing Leads to Another(The Fixx). Randy Haney Comedy Hour #3 - Comedy highlights on this edition center around people Randy knew at Riser Elementary/Junior High School. Musical highlights: 1999, She Works Hard For The Money, Don't Let It End, Beat It, Valley Girl, Those Magic Changes, Greased Lightning, Born To Hand Jive, and I Love Rock and Roll. Also features Albert Sims, James Stricklin, and Michelle Haney."

The "Musical Muse Countdown" episode was another recorded on one of the "notorious" Memorex cassettes I mentioned in the previous digitization progress report, thus I had to replace the pressure pad again before the tape would play properly for transfer... until side B that is. For some reason, side B kept immediately getting "hung up", causing the tape deck to stop. After some experimentation, without success, I finally decided to pry the housing apart, remove the tape inside, and transfer to a new housing. The tape STILL kept 'hanging up", which was an issue I haven't experienced with a tape yet. At that point, I finally said, "FUCK IT!", and dug out the "master tape" for that episode to complete the second half of the digitization of the episode, so there's a slight "gap" in the finished project as a result (I still haven't really gotten "proficient" in "digital cutting/editing). The "master" was recorded on a Sony brand cassette, and played perfectly after all these years, proving Memorex tapes were SHIT!

Anyway, in episode three of the "Musical Muse Countdown", James and I make a plug for our music supplier at the time, Dennis Goodwin's local record shop "Orbit Records", the "B" side of "Loverboy" is played (the instrumental version), and Jerry Sanders comes into the studio just long enough to comment how much he hates the number one song of the week.

Episode 432 of the TRSE "flagship" series "The Tape & Record Show", recorded months before the "Musical Muse" episode, was also recorded on a MUCH cheaper audio cassette, yet the "Swire Magnetics" tape (one of those sold in three-packs for around $2.00), has held up MUCH better than the higher dollar Memorex tapes. The episode of "Fawlty Towers" on the show was taken from one of the four LP soundtracks I have from the series, but what was transferred this evening was the dub from the original TRSE "broadcast" copy cassette.

Episode 433 was the last of three total "Randy Haney Comedy Hour" specials. By this time, Randy was going more "mainstream" music wise, diverting from his usual Elvis Presley material. He sang along with records like Frank Zappa's "Valley Girl", Styx "Don't Let It End", Michael Jackson's "Beat It", and Joan Jett's "I Love Rock and Roll". Michelle Haney sings with Donna Summer's "She Works Hard For The Money". During the show, I name off old schoolmates he and I went to elementary/junior high(now called "middle school") with at Riser, to see if he remembered them, or had anything to say about them. The "broadcast version" of this episode was on a Radio Shack "Concertape", the budget blank cassette from the store. If it had been the higher dollar Radio Shack "Realistic" brand cassette, I most likely would have had to replace the pressure pad. Yes, the cheaper Radio Shack tapes have held up better than their more "premium" variety also.