albert71292 😊accomplished

James and Jerry Try To Carry Tunes and Other Demented Stuff

Worked on the old Tape and Record Show Enterprises audio cassette digitization project again this evening, completing three more "broadcasts" of the "James Stricklin Song Mirage" and three half hours of "TRSE" edited editions of "The Dr. Demento Show" from the mid-1980's...

"James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 69. Broadcast Monday, July 14,1986 at 9:30pm central. Theme Music: Turn Up The Radio(Autograph). Hosts: James Stricklin and Jerry Sanders. James and special guest Jerry Sanders sing and play the following songs: Season's No Reason To Change(The Gap Band), Ladies Night(Kool and the Gang), Stay With Me Tonight(Jeffrey Osbourne), Taxman(Rockwell).

James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 70. Broadcast Monday, July 21,1986 at 9:30pm central. Theme Music: Turn Up The Radio(Autograph). Hosts: James Stricklin and Jerry Sanders. Songs include: Der Kommissar(After The Fire), Part Time Lover(Stevie Wonder), California Dreamin'(Mamas and the Papas), Freeze Frame(J. Geils Band), Play the Game(Queen).

James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 71. Broadcast Monday, July 28,1986 at 9:30pm central. Theme Music: Turn Up The Radio(Autograph). Songs include music from the film "FM": It Keeps You Running(Doobie Brothers), How Much Longer(James Taylor), FM(Steely Dan), Breakdown(Tom Petty), Tumblin' Dice(Linda Ronstadt).

The Dr. Demento Show: Episode 13. Broadcast Friday, September 12, 1986 at 11:00pm central. Theme Music: Pico and Sepulveda(Freddy Martin and His Orchestra). Songs: Dueling Tubas(Martin Mull), Don't Go Down To The Fallout Shelter(Tom Fenton), Stop Following Me/Paranoid(Fibs), Part Time Plumbers(The Cover Boys), Don't Make Nun Names Like That Anymore(Tommy Sharp), Sister Mary Elephant(Cheech and Chong), Song Of The Sewer(Art Carney), Ambrose Part 5(Linda Laurie), and Hiss(Whimsical Will and Princess).

The Dr. Demento Show: Episode 14. Broadcast Friday, September 19, 1986 at 11:00pm central. Theme Music: Pico and Sepulveda(Freddy Martin and His Orchestra). The episode begins with an investigation of the backwards masking of the "Mister Ed" theme song, which supposedly has Satanic messages. Songs: Purple Haze(Roto Rooter Good Time Christmas Band), Surfer Chick(Whoopi Goldberg), Teenagers From Outer Space(Terminators of Endearment with Steve Monahan), Earth Girls Are Easy(Julie Brown), Bowling with Joe The Love Potato(Duck Logic), When The Going Gets Tough[The Tough Go Bowling](John Mammoser), Charlie Brown(The Coasters).

The Dr. Demento Show: Episode 15. Broadcast Monday, March 2, 1987 at 8:30pm central. Theme Music: Pico and Sepulveda(Freddy Martin and His Orchestra). Songs: Say Man(Bo Diddley), My Ding-a-Ling(Chuck Berry), Bugged At My Old Man(The Beach Boys), Gonna Buy Me A Dog(The Monkees), Cobwebs and Strange(The Who), Bike(Pink Floyd), You Know My Name(The Beatles)."

Near the start of episode 69, James mentions that apparently both Jerry and I had dates arranged soon with a couple members of the fairer gender. I don't remember ANYTHING about that, not even if I actually HAD a date with anyone around that time. James and Jerry sing a few of the songs in the episode together, although I use the word "sing" rather loosely. James gets a bit cracked up during "Ladies Night". James and Jerry close the episode with a short a capella version of "Happy Trails".

Episode 70, James has some trouble even SAYING the song title "Der Kommissar", so probably a good thing neither he or Jerry tried to sing along with it. James mentions video is also being recorded for the session. There were a very FEW audio sessions at the time I set up a video camera to capture the "in production" process. If the video still exists, I'll have to eventually dig through the old VHS stack to see if I can locate it (if it DOES still exist, then I'll need to find a working VHS machine, an adapter to get the video into the computer, and proper encoding software to get it converted...audio has ALWAYS been my "priority" in both the original recordings and the current digitization). For some reason, after "Freeze Frame", James brings up Bing Crosby and the old "Minute Maid" TV commercials. The episode ends with yet another short a capella rendition of "Happy Trails" by James and Jerry. The episode is another of a few episodes I "time compressed" at the time of the original editing, to make it fit more concisely into slightly under a half-hour, and back then, "time compression" with my equipment consisted of using the pitch control on the old JVC cassette deck to "speed up" sections, so some parts of this episode sound "odd" as a result. I may need to dig out the "master" audio recordings at a later date and convert the "raw" version, without the editing.

In episode 71, James has his "Texas cousin" as co-host (also portrayed by James), and features music from the motion picture soundtrack of the movie "FM". Judging from James appearing alone, the flow of the episode, and the sound quality, I'm guessing he recorded the show at his house and brought me the tape later for final editing (adding theme music, etc). As usual, for recordings this old, I can't remember exact details.

The "Dr. Demento" episodes are two more half hour versions culled from the ACTUAL weekly two-hour nationally syndicated radio broadcasts, without the knowledge or official consent of Barry Hansen at the time. Pretty much what I did with Dennis Goodwin's locally broadcast "Independent Sampler", but I had let Dennis hear the result of what I was doing once, and he didn't have any objection. Since "Tape and Record Show Enterprises" was more of a "personal hobby" and not a REAL profitable radio broadcast, I figure I'm still somewhat "safe" with these recordings. Still not making money from them. They've always COST me money preserving them instead. TRSE was always (and still is) "nonprofit". In episode 14, Kenny "Bill" Stinson from West Monroe calls in to request "Purple Haze", he listened to the show on 106FM, where I recorded the show from.