albert71292 😊accomplished

Halloween and Live Song Mirages

Two more episodes of "The James Stricklin Song Mirage" digitized and canned this evening from the Tape and Record Show Enterprises archives...

"James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 57. Broadcast Monday, October 28,1985 at 9:00pm central. Theme Music: Turn Up The Radio(Autograph). Hosts: James Stricklin, Randy Haney, and Albert Sims. Halloween special/album hour featuring "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" soundtrack. Songs: Science Fiction Double feature, Dammit Janet, Over At the Frankenstein Place, The Time Warp, Sweet Transvestite, I Can Make You A Man, Hot Patootie Bless My Soul, Touch-A Touch-A Touch Me, Eddie, Rose Tint My World, I'm Going Home, Super Heroes.

James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 58. Broadcast Monday, November 4,1985 at 8:30pm central. Theme Music: Turn Up The Radio(Autograph). Hosts: James Stricklin, Randy Haney, Paul Morrison, and Albert Sims. First LIVE show. Songs: Ma Ma Ma Bell(Electric Light Orchestra), Party Up(Prince), Me and Fat Boy(Mac Davis), The Show(Doug E. Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew), Listen To The Music(The Doobie Brothers), My Home Is In Alabama(Alabama), I Know A Little(Lynard Skynard), Luckenbach Texas(Waylon Jennings), Francine(ZZ Top), All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight(Hank Williams Jr), Seven Bridges Road(The Eagles), Slicin' Sand(Elvis Presley), State of Shock(Mick Jagger/Michael Jackson), State of Shock(Harvey Leeds)."

Episode 57, a one hour "Halloween Special" episode, was both audio AND video recorded, something unusual for TRSE. Unfortunately, I don't have equipment currently to digitize old VHS tapes, so even though I still have the video recording, THAT project will have to wait. Not much difference between the "broadcast" audio version and the "experimental" video version though, since the video is just a stationary camera recording James and Randy recording the main audio version. You can hear what they are talking about during the songs in the video, since the camera was using the built in mic, and wasn't patched into the mixer. You only hear them announcing between songs on this audio version. There was time left in the hour after the album, so I suggested James and Randy sing "Dancing In The Street", the version by David Bowie and Mick Jagger. Although, mischievous as I am, I threw them a curveball at the last second and played the instrumental version for them to sing on, with hilarious results.

Episode 58, a 90 minute episode, was recorded live, meaning all participating parties were "in studio" at the usual "broadcast" time and we recorded the show in the time slot, no editing, and all the flaws and imperfections could NOT be "edited for broadcast" later. In other words, what you heard is what you got that evening. The "crackling" heard in the episode had something to do with the microphones. The same issue appeared in other recordings around the same time. Still unsure what caused it, but I'm thinking bad mics, since after I upgraded the mics later, the problem seems to have vanished. Back in the TRSE recording days, it was VERY rare to get Randy Haney and Paul Morrison in the same room at the same time. Paul's "Stages of Drunkeness" speech from an earlier previously unreleased "live local event" was inserted in the middle of "Party Up". Also, where else will you hear James and Paul singing along with "Luckenbach Texas" and "All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight"? "Slicin' Sand" was Randy singing over a 1981 recording of himself singing the song. "State of Shock" was just a replay of Randy singing the song from his "King Jam" special. The Harvey Leeds version was from "Weird Al" Yankovic's "The Compleat Al" mockumentary.