TRSE Goes Historical, Part Two
Transferred another five "half hours" from the Tape and Record Show Enterprises audio archives from cassettes to digital this evening, from the tail end of season two of the flagship series "The Tape and Record Show", the next five installments of the re-broadcast of the March 30, 1981 CBS News live coverage of the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan...
"The Tape & Record Show: Episode 208. Broadcast Monday, April 6,1981 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: Asteroid Field(John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra). A rebroadcast of CBS News live coverage from the day President Ronald Reagan was shot. Part Four.
The Tape & Record Show: Episode 209. Broadcast Tuesday, April 7,1981 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: Asteroid Field(John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra). A rebroadcast of CBS News live coverage from the day President Ronald Reagan was shot. Part Five.(18 min) / "Singin' In The Rain" - Part one of the soundtrack LP.
The Tape & Record Show: Episode 210. Broadcast Wednesday, April 8,1981 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: Asteroid Field(John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra). A rebroadcast of CBS News live coverage from the day President Ronald Reagan was shot. Part Six. (18 min) / "The Golf Game"(W.C. Fields, Edgar Bergen, Charlie McCarthy, Don Ameche).
The Tape & Record Show: Episode 211. Broadcast Thursday, April 9,1981 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: Asteroid Field(John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra). Theme to the film "The Gang's All Here" / A rebroadcast of CBS News live coverage from the day President Ronald Reagan was shot. Part Seven.
The Tape & Record Show: Episode 212. Broadcast Friday, April 10,1981 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: Asteroid Field(John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra). A rebroadcast of CBS News live coverage from the day President Ronald Reagan was shot. Part Eight."
The "Tape and Record Show", especially during season two, for some reason "padded" out numerous shows and broadcasts into as many "episodes" as possible. I say "for some reason", because I can't remember my "mindset"that far back. As you'll notice in the episode descriptions, three of the episodes had "filler material" inserted, which had nothing to do subject wise with the primary feature of the episode.
I can't help but compare Dan Rather's live delivery during the live CBS broadcast with Dennis Goodwin's "Independent Sampler" delivery. Lot's o' "Uh's". Also, at the end of episode 209, Dan Rather announced the "Academy Awards" scheduled for broadcast that evening would be postponed 24 hours. Throughout the broadcast, the question of "succession" was brought up, because of comments by Secretary of State Alexander Haig.
Once again, like last night, I had a slight "hitch" in the digitizations of the old audio cassettes. Last night was mislabeled tapes, which I was two hours into the project before I noticed things were going out of sequence. Tonight's issue was two cassettes with rotten pressure pads, causing me to have to pry the old tapes apart and change the tape reels to new housings. Out of all the old cassettes I've run across with that issue so far, most of them seem to be the "Concertape/Realistic" brand cassettes from Radio Shack. Most "budget" tapes from back then are holding up better than the more expensive Radio Shack tapes. It would be a bit easier to make the needed repairs if the freggin' Radio Shack tapes had SCREWS holding the housing together, instead of glue!
I remember the time I told Andrew about the lengthy project I'm doing, and the details involved. He said he would never have the patience for such an undertaking. A couple other people I've talked to online also said they wouldn't have the patience. I'm either really "determined" to preserve as many of these old fake "broadcasts" as possible, or I'm really STUPID, considering I'm probably the only person still interested in these old tapes. At least hopefully, since I'm backing the conversions up to TWO external drives in two formats per episode, I'll never have to "fight" with the ancient cassettes again after I complete the project. Still have a few hundred hours more to go, apart from a few I know will be missing/lost after the past four decades.
"The Tape & Record Show: Episode 208. Broadcast Monday, April 6,1981 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: Asteroid Field(John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra). A rebroadcast of CBS News live coverage from the day President Ronald Reagan was shot. Part Four.
The Tape & Record Show: Episode 209. Broadcast Tuesday, April 7,1981 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: Asteroid Field(John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra). A rebroadcast of CBS News live coverage from the day President Ronald Reagan was shot. Part Five.(18 min) / "Singin' In The Rain" - Part one of the soundtrack LP.
The Tape & Record Show: Episode 210. Broadcast Wednesday, April 8,1981 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: Asteroid Field(John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra). A rebroadcast of CBS News live coverage from the day President Ronald Reagan was shot. Part Six. (18 min) / "The Golf Game"(W.C. Fields, Edgar Bergen, Charlie McCarthy, Don Ameche).
The Tape & Record Show: Episode 211. Broadcast Thursday, April 9,1981 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: Asteroid Field(John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra). Theme to the film "The Gang's All Here" / A rebroadcast of CBS News live coverage from the day President Ronald Reagan was shot. Part Seven.
The Tape & Record Show: Episode 212. Broadcast Friday, April 10,1981 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: Asteroid Field(John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra). A rebroadcast of CBS News live coverage from the day President Ronald Reagan was shot. Part Eight."
The "Tape and Record Show", especially during season two, for some reason "padded" out numerous shows and broadcasts into as many "episodes" as possible. I say "for some reason", because I can't remember my "mindset"that far back. As you'll notice in the episode descriptions, three of the episodes had "filler material" inserted, which had nothing to do subject wise with the primary feature of the episode.
I can't help but compare Dan Rather's live delivery during the live CBS broadcast with Dennis Goodwin's "Independent Sampler" delivery. Lot's o' "Uh's". Also, at the end of episode 209, Dan Rather announced the "Academy Awards" scheduled for broadcast that evening would be postponed 24 hours. Throughout the broadcast, the question of "succession" was brought up, because of comments by Secretary of State Alexander Haig.
Once again, like last night, I had a slight "hitch" in the digitizations of the old audio cassettes. Last night was mislabeled tapes, which I was two hours into the project before I noticed things were going out of sequence. Tonight's issue was two cassettes with rotten pressure pads, causing me to have to pry the old tapes apart and change the tape reels to new housings. Out of all the old cassettes I've run across with that issue so far, most of them seem to be the "Concertape/Realistic" brand cassettes from Radio Shack. Most "budget" tapes from back then are holding up better than the more expensive Radio Shack tapes. It would be a bit easier to make the needed repairs if the freggin' Radio Shack tapes had SCREWS holding the housing together, instead of glue!
I remember the time I told Andrew about the lengthy project I'm doing, and the details involved. He said he would never have the patience for such an undertaking. A couple other people I've talked to online also said they wouldn't have the patience. I'm either really "determined" to preserve as many of these old fake "broadcasts" as possible, or I'm really STUPID, considering I'm probably the only person still interested in these old tapes. At least hopefully, since I'm backing the conversions up to TWO external drives in two formats per episode, I'll never have to "fight" with the ancient cassettes again after I complete the project. Still have a few hundred hours more to go, apart from a few I know will be missing/lost after the past four decades.