albert71292 😏nostalgic

TRSE Goes Historical

Transferred another three "half hours" from the Tape and Record Show Enterprises audio archives from cassettes to digital this evening, from the tail end of season two of the flagship series "The Tape and Record Show", these were "broadcast" on a weekend day in a row...

"The Tape & Record Show: Episodes 205-207. Broadcast Sunday, April 5,1981 at 2:00pm central. Theme Music: Asteroid Field(John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra). A rebroadcast of CBS News live coverage from the day President Ronald Reagan was shot. Parts One-Three, in half hour segments, broadcast in a row."

If not for mislabeled tapes, I would have gotten more than an hour and a half of material digitized this evening. Didn't realize until "part four" that I was duplicating the tapes out of order, so I had to go back and start again. The "parts" were "time sensitive" for each of the "Tape and Record Show" episodes, so couldn't keep them the way I had first transferred them, thus having to start over. The tapes are now corrected label wise, for the first time since first recorded live off TV in 1981. The "Tape and Record Show" re-broadcast of the audio was a few days after the actual event.

In the first two episodes, there was confusion whether or not Reagan's press secretary James Brady was alive or dead. Things always tend to fluctuate with live TV news, so can't blame anyone for that. When I first started recording the live coverage, it was after I had gotten home from school, probably around 3:30pm central or so on March 30, 1981 as broadcast on the local CBS affiliate, recorded as most off-air material was done at the time, with a portable monophonic cassette recorder, with an external microphone held to a TV speaker. TRSE at the time managed to "pad out" the re-broadcast of CBS News coverage to eleven half hours.

Random Fact: Reagan's surgery was about five hours less than my esophagus stricture surgery in late 2018.