Back To "Other" TRSE Series
Tonight, I jumped ahead in years again to digitized more of the other "spin-off" Tape and Record Show Enterprises series besides the "flagship" show I've been concentrating on lately...
"James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 44. Broadcast Monday, July 15,1985 at 9:30pm central. Theme Music: Can You Feel It(The Jacksons). Hosts: James Stricklin and Albert Sims. Selections from the "Vision Quest" soundtrack. Songs: Only The Young(Journey), Crazy For You(Madonna), Hot Blooded(Foreigner),Hungry For Heaven(Dio), Shout To The Top(Style Council).
James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 45. Broadcast Monday, July 22,1985 at 9:30pm central. Theme Music: Can You Feel It(The Jacksons). Hosts: James Stricklin and Albert Sims. Songs: Friends(Whodini), Glory Days(Bruce Springsteen), I Feel For You Remix(Chaka Kahn), The Men All Pause(Klymaxx), Better Be Good To Me(Tina Turner).
James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 46. Broadcast Monday, August 5,1985 at 9:30pm central. Theme Music: Turn Up The Radio(Autograph). Hosts: James Stricklin and Randy Haney. Second annual Elvis Presley tribute. Songs: Moody Blue, Way Down, Let Me Be There, Unchained Melody, Kentucky Rain, Don't Cry Daddy."
"The Dr. Demento Show: Episode 4. Broadcast Friday, May 30, 1986 at 11:00pm central. Theme Music: Pico and Sepulveda(Freddy Martin and His Orchestra). Songs: "Mr. Comet"(Whimsical Will), "The Destruction Of San Francisco"(Prince's Orchestra), "Day After Day"(Shango), "I Want A New Duck"("Weird Al" Yankovic), "Hot Springs"(Crabmeat Thompson), "Pulchritude"(Clancy Hayes), "Huggin' and Chalkin'"(Bob Scobey's Frisco Band), "My Toot Toot"(Rockin' Sydney), "Do The W-2"(Alfred Johnston).
The Dr. Demento Show: Episode 5. Broadcast Friday, June 6, 1986 at 11:00pm central. Theme Music: Pico and Sepulveda(Freddy Martin and His Orchestra). Guest Leon Redbone. Songs: "I Paid My Income Tax"(Barry Wood), "H&R Crock"(John Mammoser), "The Lord Giveth - Uncle Sam Taketh Away"(Scotty & The Tax Busters), "Loving You Has Made Me Bananas"(Guy Marx), "Somebody Stole My Gal"(Leon Redbone), "Sammy Davis Style"(Jelly Roll Morton), "I Ain't Got Nobody"(Emmett Miller), "If I Ever Cry You'll Never Know"(Elton Britt)."
In episode 44, I think James and I were "lazy" that week. We just grabbed the "Vision Quest" soundtrack CD and played cuts from it, instead of digging into the "archives" and assembling songs from scratch. James had a cold that week, evident from the nasal sounds picked up by the microphone, and his admission to the fact.
Episode 45 was obviously recorded prior to the "broadcast" of episodes 42 and 43, because it is discussed those "special" episodes are "coming up". I'll need to look up the "master tapes" for the episodes to check the dates eventually. I use the edited "broadcast" copies for these transfers. Yes, by the time these shows were recorded, I had decent audio equipment, unlike the very early "Tape and Record Show" episodes where I only had a portable monophonic cassette recorder, so most of the "shows" we recorded had at least two good copies, the "master", and an edited "broadcast" copy from the master. The "decent" audio equipment included two JVC brand Dolby capable cassette decks purchased from the local "Howard Griffin Sound Center", and a "Realistic" branded audio mixer from Radio Shack. Jerry Sanders apparently called during the recording session, but he's not heard, since I didn't have a phone patch attached at the time.
Episode 46 was a bit of a landmark in TRSE "history". It was the first "Song Mirage" with Autograph's "Turn Up the Radio" as the theme music. James thought the Statler Brothers sang backup on "Way Down". but he was corrected by Randy and I, that it was J.D. Sumner and the Stamps Quartet with Kathy Westmoreland. It's also mentioned that at the newly opened Pecanland Mall, a name was signed to a wall there, "Lori Boyd", which we assumed was the same person who referred to Randy as "Weasel" in the 1982 "Live at Skatetown" special. it was also the episode where Randy cracked himself up singing "Kentucky Rain", by substituting one word.
The "Dr. Demento" episodes are more shows where TRSE "commandeered" Barry Hansen's national radio show, and split the weekly two hour broadcasts to half hour weekly episodes, without permission. Hard to get sued to oblivion when you are a pretend "broadcast" production company. In the fourth TRSE episode, "Whimsical Will" was apparently inspired by Dickie Goodman. Also, even though Dr. Demento was big at the time, where does one find a record player in the 80's capable of playing an ancient 80rpm record? The version of "I Want A New Duck" on this show played fine, but the version on my Weird Al LP has skips. Exchanged the LP out twice back when I bought it, same skip was there, so I just gave up and kept the defect.
Episode five of the TRSE version of "Dr.Demento" was the first with an interview with Leon Redbone. Some songs may be remenicent of some songs in the "Tape and Record Show" episodes of Tin Pan Alley songs digitized earlier. Then again, songs played were around the same time period.
"James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 44. Broadcast Monday, July 15,1985 at 9:30pm central. Theme Music: Can You Feel It(The Jacksons). Hosts: James Stricklin and Albert Sims. Selections from the "Vision Quest" soundtrack. Songs: Only The Young(Journey), Crazy For You(Madonna), Hot Blooded(Foreigner),Hungry For Heaven(Dio), Shout To The Top(Style Council).
James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 45. Broadcast Monday, July 22,1985 at 9:30pm central. Theme Music: Can You Feel It(The Jacksons). Hosts: James Stricklin and Albert Sims. Songs: Friends(Whodini), Glory Days(Bruce Springsteen), I Feel For You Remix(Chaka Kahn), The Men All Pause(Klymaxx), Better Be Good To Me(Tina Turner).
James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 46. Broadcast Monday, August 5,1985 at 9:30pm central. Theme Music: Turn Up The Radio(Autograph). Hosts: James Stricklin and Randy Haney. Second annual Elvis Presley tribute. Songs: Moody Blue, Way Down, Let Me Be There, Unchained Melody, Kentucky Rain, Don't Cry Daddy."
"The Dr. Demento Show: Episode 4. Broadcast Friday, May 30, 1986 at 11:00pm central. Theme Music: Pico and Sepulveda(Freddy Martin and His Orchestra). Songs: "Mr. Comet"(Whimsical Will), "The Destruction Of San Francisco"(Prince's Orchestra), "Day After Day"(Shango), "I Want A New Duck"("Weird Al" Yankovic), "Hot Springs"(Crabmeat Thompson), "Pulchritude"(Clancy Hayes), "Huggin' and Chalkin'"(Bob Scobey's Frisco Band), "My Toot Toot"(Rockin' Sydney), "Do The W-2"(Alfred Johnston).
The Dr. Demento Show: Episode 5. Broadcast Friday, June 6, 1986 at 11:00pm central. Theme Music: Pico and Sepulveda(Freddy Martin and His Orchestra). Guest Leon Redbone. Songs: "I Paid My Income Tax"(Barry Wood), "H&R Crock"(John Mammoser), "The Lord Giveth - Uncle Sam Taketh Away"(Scotty & The Tax Busters), "Loving You Has Made Me Bananas"(Guy Marx), "Somebody Stole My Gal"(Leon Redbone), "Sammy Davis Style"(Jelly Roll Morton), "I Ain't Got Nobody"(Emmett Miller), "If I Ever Cry You'll Never Know"(Elton Britt)."
In episode 44, I think James and I were "lazy" that week. We just grabbed the "Vision Quest" soundtrack CD and played cuts from it, instead of digging into the "archives" and assembling songs from scratch. James had a cold that week, evident from the nasal sounds picked up by the microphone, and his admission to the fact.
Episode 45 was obviously recorded prior to the "broadcast" of episodes 42 and 43, because it is discussed those "special" episodes are "coming up". I'll need to look up the "master tapes" for the episodes to check the dates eventually. I use the edited "broadcast" copies for these transfers. Yes, by the time these shows were recorded, I had decent audio equipment, unlike the very early "Tape and Record Show" episodes where I only had a portable monophonic cassette recorder, so most of the "shows" we recorded had at least two good copies, the "master", and an edited "broadcast" copy from the master. The "decent" audio equipment included two JVC brand Dolby capable cassette decks purchased from the local "Howard Griffin Sound Center", and a "Realistic" branded audio mixer from Radio Shack. Jerry Sanders apparently called during the recording session, but he's not heard, since I didn't have a phone patch attached at the time.
Episode 46 was a bit of a landmark in TRSE "history". It was the first "Song Mirage" with Autograph's "Turn Up the Radio" as the theme music. James thought the Statler Brothers sang backup on "Way Down". but he was corrected by Randy and I, that it was J.D. Sumner and the Stamps Quartet with Kathy Westmoreland. It's also mentioned that at the newly opened Pecanland Mall, a name was signed to a wall there, "Lori Boyd", which we assumed was the same person who referred to Randy as "Weasel" in the 1982 "Live at Skatetown" special. it was also the episode where Randy cracked himself up singing "Kentucky Rain", by substituting one word.
The "Dr. Demento" episodes are more shows where TRSE "commandeered" Barry Hansen's national radio show, and split the weekly two hour broadcasts to half hour weekly episodes, without permission. Hard to get sued to oblivion when you are a pretend "broadcast" production company. In the fourth TRSE episode, "Whimsical Will" was apparently inspired by Dickie Goodman. Also, even though Dr. Demento was big at the time, where does one find a record player in the 80's capable of playing an ancient 80rpm record? The version of "I Want A New Duck" on this show played fine, but the version on my Weird Al LP has skips. Exchanged the LP out twice back when I bought it, same skip was there, so I just gave up and kept the defect.
Episode five of the TRSE version of "Dr.Demento" was the first with an interview with Leon Redbone. Some songs may be remenicent of some songs in the "Tape and Record Show" episodes of Tin Pan Alley songs digitized earlier. Then again, songs played were around the same time period.