This Mess Is Costing More Than Expected
Digitized five more old episodes from the Tape and Record Show Enterprises archives this evening, skipping around a bit where the "flagship" series is concerned...
"The Tape & Record Show: Episode 83. Broadcast Monday, October 29,1979 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: A Piece of Cake(Jerry Reed). "Tape and Record Show Halloween Special, Part One" - A ghastly Halloween special with spooky stories and sound effects. Segments: The Dare, The Haunted House, Screams and Groans, The Very Long Fuse, Fuses and Explosions, The Dogs, Dogs, Dark Dark Dark, Timber, Your Pet Cat, Cat Fight, Thunder Lightning and Rain.
The Tape & Record Show: Episode 84. Broadcast Tuesday, October 30,1979 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: A Piece of Cake(Jerry Reed). "Tape and Record Show Halloween Special, Part Two" - Includes spooky stories and sound effects from Walt Disney Studios. Segments: Shipwreck, A Collection of Crashes, Wait 'Til Martin Comes, The Unsafe Bridge, A Collection of Creaks, The Skinny Toe. / "One's On The Way", "I'll Feel Good When It Quits Hurtin'"(Loretta Lynn).
The Tape & Record Show: Episode 85. Broadcast Wednesday, October 31,1979 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: A Piece of Cake(Jerry Reed). "Tape and Record Show Halloween Special, Part Three" - Includes spooky stories and sound effects from Walt Disney Studios. Segments: Big Fraid Little Fraid, Chinese Water Torture, Drips and Splashes, The Birds, Birds, The Martian Monsters, Things In Space, The Thing At The Foot Of The Bed, Special Recap(excerpts from all three episodes) / "Blueberry Hill", "Love's On The Loose"(Loretta Lynn)."
"James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 39. Broadcast Monday, June 17,1985 at 9:30pm central. Theme Music: Can You Feel It(The Jacksons). Hosts: James Stricklin, Calvert Mimms(Albert Sims), and Jerry Sanders. Songs: Any Way You Want It(Journey), Go Insane(Lindsey Buckingham), Rubberneckin'(Elvis Presley), Rubberneckin'(Randy Haney/Albert Sims), You Make Lovin' Fun(Fleetwood Mac), Rasberry Beret(Prince and The Revolution).
James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 40. Broadcast Monday, June 24,1985 at 9:30pm central. Theme Music: Can You Feel It(The Jacksons). Hosts: James Stricklin and Calvert Mimms(Albert Sims). Last show of the first season. Songs: Sussudio(Phil Collins), My Toot Toot(Rockin' Sidney), Celebrate Youth(Rick Springfield), Rappin' Duke(Shawn Brown)."
As mentioned in a previous post, I noticed while typing the text file for the folder that will contain the "Tape and Record Show" episodes, that I was going to hit my first big "snag" starting with episode 83, namely the fact the "edited" content cassettes from the LP records used for 83 and 84 were nowhere to be found. I had the "raw content" for episode 85 however, which was the last part of a three part "Halloween Special".
Sooo... I decided I'd attempt to "recreate" the two missing episodes as best as possible, since I still have the original LP records used for the episodes in the "archives". Figured I could use episode 85 as a template for compiling the missing episodes, since the original broadcast file cards didn't include track listings, just "airdate", general description, etc. I've updated the description details for the digital files.
Sooo again, since I haven't played any albums in ages, I decided to dig the ION branded turntable out which I had stored in the closet since the mid 2000's. It was a USB model, and hadn't ever been used heavily. However, after digging it out and hooking it up, I hit another snag. Damn thing wouldn't even power on!
Sooooooooooo.... even though I had no plans to leave the house today (Black Friday), I ventured out to Best Buy to acquire a new turntable. Didn't spend a lot (since I don't HAVE a lot), bought their "house brand" turntable. They only had one left in stock, so guess I got there just in time. Anywho, to the best of my ability, now that I have a WORKING turntable again, I've now "reconstructed" the two missing episodes of "The Tape and Record Show". Now, I need to go back and digitize episodes 76-82, which I figured I could do later, since, even though SOME materials for those are missing, I can easily find "alternate sources" for the missing content. Only caveat, the "reconstructed" episodes of the first two parts of the Halloween trilogy sound MUCH better than the final episode. However, I want to keep the transfers as "authentic" to the time I made them as possible, so part three is "authentic as hell" sound quality wise! :-P
The two episodes of the "Song Mirage" digitized this evening were the last two episodes of the series "first season". Still have over 50 more episodes of that series to go. James mentions in episode 40 he is about to start his new job as a water meter reader. The soap "General Hospital" is mentioned before the Rick Springfield song. In other news, today "General Hospital" is apparently STILL on the air. Gives you some idea just how OLD these tapes actually are!

"The Tape & Record Show: Episode 83. Broadcast Monday, October 29,1979 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: A Piece of Cake(Jerry Reed). "Tape and Record Show Halloween Special, Part One" - A ghastly Halloween special with spooky stories and sound effects. Segments: The Dare, The Haunted House, Screams and Groans, The Very Long Fuse, Fuses and Explosions, The Dogs, Dogs, Dark Dark Dark, Timber, Your Pet Cat, Cat Fight, Thunder Lightning and Rain.
The Tape & Record Show: Episode 84. Broadcast Tuesday, October 30,1979 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: A Piece of Cake(Jerry Reed). "Tape and Record Show Halloween Special, Part Two" - Includes spooky stories and sound effects from Walt Disney Studios. Segments: Shipwreck, A Collection of Crashes, Wait 'Til Martin Comes, The Unsafe Bridge, A Collection of Creaks, The Skinny Toe. / "One's On The Way", "I'll Feel Good When It Quits Hurtin'"(Loretta Lynn).
The Tape & Record Show: Episode 85. Broadcast Wednesday, October 31,1979 at 5:00pm central. Theme Music: A Piece of Cake(Jerry Reed). "Tape and Record Show Halloween Special, Part Three" - Includes spooky stories and sound effects from Walt Disney Studios. Segments: Big Fraid Little Fraid, Chinese Water Torture, Drips and Splashes, The Birds, Birds, The Martian Monsters, Things In Space, The Thing At The Foot Of The Bed, Special Recap(excerpts from all three episodes) / "Blueberry Hill", "Love's On The Loose"(Loretta Lynn)."
"James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 39. Broadcast Monday, June 17,1985 at 9:30pm central. Theme Music: Can You Feel It(The Jacksons). Hosts: James Stricklin, Calvert Mimms(Albert Sims), and Jerry Sanders. Songs: Any Way You Want It(Journey), Go Insane(Lindsey Buckingham), Rubberneckin'(Elvis Presley), Rubberneckin'(Randy Haney/Albert Sims), You Make Lovin' Fun(Fleetwood Mac), Rasberry Beret(Prince and The Revolution).
James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 40. Broadcast Monday, June 24,1985 at 9:30pm central. Theme Music: Can You Feel It(The Jacksons). Hosts: James Stricklin and Calvert Mimms(Albert Sims). Last show of the first season. Songs: Sussudio(Phil Collins), My Toot Toot(Rockin' Sidney), Celebrate Youth(Rick Springfield), Rappin' Duke(Shawn Brown)."
As mentioned in a previous post, I noticed while typing the text file for the folder that will contain the "Tape and Record Show" episodes, that I was going to hit my first big "snag" starting with episode 83, namely the fact the "edited" content cassettes from the LP records used for 83 and 84 were nowhere to be found. I had the "raw content" for episode 85 however, which was the last part of a three part "Halloween Special".
Sooo... I decided I'd attempt to "recreate" the two missing episodes as best as possible, since I still have the original LP records used for the episodes in the "archives". Figured I could use episode 85 as a template for compiling the missing episodes, since the original broadcast file cards didn't include track listings, just "airdate", general description, etc. I've updated the description details for the digital files.
Sooo again, since I haven't played any albums in ages, I decided to dig the ION branded turntable out which I had stored in the closet since the mid 2000's. It was a USB model, and hadn't ever been used heavily. However, after digging it out and hooking it up, I hit another snag. Damn thing wouldn't even power on!
Sooooooooooo.... even though I had no plans to leave the house today (Black Friday), I ventured out to Best Buy to acquire a new turntable. Didn't spend a lot (since I don't HAVE a lot), bought their "house brand" turntable. They only had one left in stock, so guess I got there just in time. Anywho, to the best of my ability, now that I have a WORKING turntable again, I've now "reconstructed" the two missing episodes of "The Tape and Record Show". Now, I need to go back and digitize episodes 76-82, which I figured I could do later, since, even though SOME materials for those are missing, I can easily find "alternate sources" for the missing content. Only caveat, the "reconstructed" episodes of the first two parts of the Halloween trilogy sound MUCH better than the final episode. However, I want to keep the transfers as "authentic" to the time I made them as possible, so part three is "authentic as hell" sound quality wise! :-P
The two episodes of the "Song Mirage" digitized this evening were the last two episodes of the series "first season". Still have over 50 more episodes of that series to go. James mentions in episode 40 he is about to start his new job as a water meter reader. The soap "General Hospital" is mentioned before the Rick Springfield song. In other news, today "General Hospital" is apparently STILL on the air. Gives you some idea just how OLD these tapes actually are!
