albert71292 😊contemplative

Listens: Paul's Country Corral

Geesh, Paul!

Digitized two more of the old Tape & Record Show Enterprises "broadcast" recordings from the audio cassettes this evening. Not having talked to Paul Morrison much over the past several years, and not hearing these recordings since the 1980's, I had pretty much forgotten how BIG a "racist" my old friend Paul was, after his comments in episode 10 of "Paul's Country Corral". Bad enough comments to make me literally cringe while listening. I never really had to worry about hearing that kind of language on "The James Stricklin Song Mirage", "Jerry Sanders' Hit Parade", "The TRS Music Show", or "Orbit's Independent Sampler", the latter being half hours edited from an actual weekend public radio show by a friend who ran a local record shop at the time, so naturally. I had no rebuttal at the time to Paul, since I only did the "engineering". Paul preferred to host/announce his show "solo".

Contents of the two episodes transferred this evening, as written on the original index cards in the "broadcast files"...

"Paul's Country Corral: Episode 10. Broadcast Wednesday, April 16, 1986 at 8:00pm central. Theme Music: Soul to Soul(Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble). Songs: Little By Little(Gene Watson), Nadine(George Thorogood and The Destroyers), I'll Remember You(Bob Dylan), Cosmic Square Dance(Chet Atkins/Mark Knopfler), City Girls(J.J. Cale), and Makin' It Natural(Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show).

Paul's Country Corral: Episode 11. Broadcast Wednesday, April 23, 1986 at 8:00pm central. Theme Music: Soul to Soul(Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble). Songs: Makeup and Faded Blue Jeans(Merle Haggard), Drinking My Baby Goodbye(Charlie Daniels Band), Can't You See(Hank Williams Jr/Paul Morrison), I'm A Brand New Country Star(Jimmy Buffet), Haunted House(John Anderson), and The Devil Inside(Ed Bruce)."

Side notes: Paul joined "TRSE" after I randomly ran across him for the first time in the local "Orbit Records" one day. I "knew" him from high school, but we never "hung out" back in the high school days. I think at the time, he hung out with a "different crowd". During high school, it was mainly just me, James Stricklin, Jerry Sanders, and Randy Haney. We weren't as "countrified" as Paul was. Then again, none of us could actually play a musical instrument, while Paul could actually play guitar. He recorded an entire one hour TRSE special playing guitar and singing, "An Evening With Paul Morrison", which has already been digitized. Paul normally just spun the tunes on "Country Corral", but he sang along with Hank Williams Jr. in episode 11 on "Can't You See".