albert71292 😏nostalgic

Listens: The James Stricklin Song Mirage

Uncle On The Song Mirage

Working on digitizing three more "James Stricklin Song Mirage" episodes we made back in the 1980's. In a few of these earlier episodes, I had experimented in the original editing with "cold opens". Listening today, a "cold open" doesn't really work well for this genre of program. Glad I abandoned that idea after a few episodes. Contents of tonights conversions, as listed on the original broadcast index cards...

"James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 11. Broadcast Monday, September 24,1984 at 9:00pm central. Theme Music: Can You Feel It(The Jacksons). James Stricklin, Calvert Mimms/Paul Shaffer(Albert Sims) bring you the best music on radio today. Songs: Livingston Saturday Night(Jimmy Buffet), Missing You(Carlie Pride), Macho Man(The Village People), Come to Me(Patti Austin and James Ingram), Nothing Ever Goes As Planned(Styx).

James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 12. Broadcast Monday, October 1,1984 at 9:00pm central. Theme Music: Can You Feel It(The Jacksons). Hosts: James Stricklin, Albert Sims. Songs: Let's Go Crazy(Prince and the Revolution), Lay My Body On The Bar(Bill Lacomb and Country Hot), Hot Legs(Rod Stewart), Poetry By Haney(Randy Haney), Cleaning Up the Town(The Bus Boys).

James Stricklin Song Mirage: Episode 13. Broadcast Monday, October 8,1984 at 9:00pm central. Theme Music: Can You Feel It(The Jacksons). James Stricklin takes the week off, and Jacob Welsh(James) substitutes. Co-host is Calvert Mimms(Albert Sims), who announces his retirement at the end of the episode. Songs: Baby Snakes(Frank Zappa), Time Will Reveal(DeBarge), El Paso(Marty Robbins), Hungry Like the Wolf(Duran Duran), Rock Me Tonight(Billy Squire)."

A relative appears in episode 12, namely my now late uncle Bill Lacomb, who was a musician who played mostly in bars and nightclubs. He had recorded an ACTUAL 45rpm single around that time when he lived in Mississippi, in a small independent studio. He had given a copy of the 45 to my grandparents, so I borrowed it to play on the show. No one knows what happened to the actual record. Seems to have "vanished" after my grandmother passed away. So, the song's appearance on this show is, as far as I know, the only copy I have access to now. The single had a "B-side", but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the song now.

Episode 12 was also another where James' wife and infant daughter were present in studio at the time of recording, and, well... it's quite OBVIOUS.

Before digging out the old cassettes after all these years, I had forgotten that the budget blank cassette company "Swire Magnetics" actually had a "high bias" version of their "Laser" brand tapes at the time.