Digitizing Another New Year and a Couple Hit Parades
This evening, I had originally planned on digitizing the first three "Jerry Sanders' Hit Parade" episodes. However, digging through the old audio cassettes, I stumbled across the "TRS 1986 New Years Celebration Sneak Preview", which I had completely forgotten about when I transferred the 1983-85 "Preview" shows a few nights ago, so I did that one first, thus changing my evening plans a bit.
The New Years Eve "broadcast" detailing the overnight "marathon" schedule of TRSE recordings from Tuesday, December 31,1985 was the first where I had a co-host, which was Paul Morrison. The previous three I announced on my own. Since there was a co-host involved, we kept "clips" from shows to a minimum, to allow banter between Paul and I. Since the "TRS On Location at Skatetown" was being repeated again, you hear a clip from the special featuring Randy Haney and Lori Boyd again. I never seem to get tired of her unexpectedly grabbing the microphone and asking "Who the HELL is Randy Haney??". Paul's original one hour pilot episode for his "Country Corral" was going to round out the overnight marathon, and, once again, there are comments not "correct" today, or ANY time, due to a song he included in the pilot. The recording is what it is unfortunately.
I guess to make that preview more "exciting" at the time, I made up a convoluted story about TRSE offering Lori Boyd $100 total to come back to Skatetown for a "follow up" show and to appear on the interview show "TRS Latenight", since her popping up was really the best part of the Skatetown recording that evening. In reality, I had no idea how to even contact her. So, that offer never happened. However, I DID run a newspaper classified ad before Halloween 1983 asking for people from the previous year to show up to Skatetown again, but that never panned out. Maybe because the BIG local paper rejected the ad, and I had to go with the "Ouachita Citizen" instead. Probably a good thing it didn't happen anyway. You really can't recapture the "magic" when something spontaneously happens.
Next, I digitized episodes 1 and 2 of "Jerry Sanders' Hit Parade". Jerry was the second person to produce a regular "music" series for Tape and Record Show Enterprises, after Randy Haney and "The Life of Elvis". James' "Song Mirage" didn't start until a while after "Hit Parade" started, but the "James Stricklin Happy Hour" comedy themed show pre-dated the "Hit Parade". Already finished digitizing the "Life of Elvis" and "Happy Hour" "broadcasts", and I'm trying to work "in order of age", for the original tapes sake. Those tapes aren't gettin' any younger!
On the first "Hit Parade" episode, Jerry seemed "overly excited" announcing the songs. For Blondie's "Call Me" for instance on the first episode, originally "broadcast" Sunday, January 2, 1983, he said, "All you blondes out there can call ME!".
The New Years Eve "broadcast" detailing the overnight "marathon" schedule of TRSE recordings from Tuesday, December 31,1985 was the first where I had a co-host, which was Paul Morrison. The previous three I announced on my own. Since there was a co-host involved, we kept "clips" from shows to a minimum, to allow banter between Paul and I. Since the "TRS On Location at Skatetown" was being repeated again, you hear a clip from the special featuring Randy Haney and Lori Boyd again. I never seem to get tired of her unexpectedly grabbing the microphone and asking "Who the HELL is Randy Haney??". Paul's original one hour pilot episode for his "Country Corral" was going to round out the overnight marathon, and, once again, there are comments not "correct" today, or ANY time, due to a song he included in the pilot. The recording is what it is unfortunately.
I guess to make that preview more "exciting" at the time, I made up a convoluted story about TRSE offering Lori Boyd $100 total to come back to Skatetown for a "follow up" show and to appear on the interview show "TRS Latenight", since her popping up was really the best part of the Skatetown recording that evening. In reality, I had no idea how to even contact her. So, that offer never happened. However, I DID run a newspaper classified ad before Halloween 1983 asking for people from the previous year to show up to Skatetown again, but that never panned out. Maybe because the BIG local paper rejected the ad, and I had to go with the "Ouachita Citizen" instead. Probably a good thing it didn't happen anyway. You really can't recapture the "magic" when something spontaneously happens.
Next, I digitized episodes 1 and 2 of "Jerry Sanders' Hit Parade". Jerry was the second person to produce a regular "music" series for Tape and Record Show Enterprises, after Randy Haney and "The Life of Elvis". James' "Song Mirage" didn't start until a while after "Hit Parade" started, but the "James Stricklin Happy Hour" comedy themed show pre-dated the "Hit Parade". Already finished digitizing the "Life of Elvis" and "Happy Hour" "broadcasts", and I'm trying to work "in order of age", for the original tapes sake. Those tapes aren't gettin' any younger!
On the first "Hit Parade" episode, Jerry seemed "overly excited" announcing the songs. For Blondie's "Call Me" for instance on the first episode, originally "broadcast" Sunday, January 2, 1983, he said, "All you blondes out there can call ME!".